Friday, January 03, 2014

So I met Lazarus today… I was hanging out on my back porch and heard some rustling around my iron fence, it was dark, a shadow moved about walking to and fro suspiciously, so I decided to arm myself and to pull a Rambo to scare off the “malfrat”. I went over to the fence and shouted; HEY! Whatchoodoing there!!!? Out of the shadows came out this person in very apologetic Spanish accent saying; I am looking for food…. That is when I met Daniel Aguilar. Daniel is a 48 year old construction former worker who was assaulted by some thugs and got his ribcage broken in Louisiana. Daniel was not able to continue his work due to that incident. Somehow he found out about Casa de Amigos Health Center (1615 North Main) and decided to leave Louisiana and get treated there. After seeing a physician, he was told that he could not do any construction work for 6 months. This is how he ended up staying at the Salvation Army Homeless center by my house. I gave him some food and told him about Jesus. The Salvation Army only allows one to stay there for a number of days before vacating. Daniel spent as many days as he could at the Salvation Army and had to resort to looking for food and shelter on the streets. As I was talking to him, I dropped down my guard and decided to really listen to his story… I was blown away by his tales of how he had demonic encounters and was visited by God through the kindness of strangers. He told me that he had once encountered a “perfect looking man” who claimed to be the devil. The man was angry with him for helping someone for God’s sake. Daniel was at the time trying to help this lady out of her addiction. He told me that he knew Jesus has always been looking out for him and that he believed that he is the one who sent me to reach out to him. I gave Daniel a goose feather coat a pair of pants, and some food and drink. Not much… But he was thankful. We had a great time talking and it is when I realized that, God in his mercy allows us to meet people’s needs even though we don’t have much to offer. I told Daniel that I am no different than he is… I only have to miss a couple of paychecks to be on the streets like him. I was inspired to reach out to my neighbors tonight in an unbelievable way. God even used my imperfect drive to protect my street from the undesirables to meet one of his sheep, and for that I am eternally grateful. I met Lazarus tonight and I intend on dining with him in the future for Jesus sake, because Jesus loves Lazarus and I am Lazarus too. Luke 16:19-31

No comments: